Professor Alejandro Ruelas-Gossi, PhD has served as a consultant and speaker for several of the Fortune 500, including Sony, Motorola, Microsoft, Bristol-Myers, IBM, Philips, Caterpillar, Cemex, Baxter, EY, Aon, Techint, AT&T, Abbott and Boston Scientific.
He served as the founding managing director of the think-tank Orkestra (named after his concept of orchestration) – The Basque Institute of Competitiveness, in the Basque Country of Spain.
Before his transition to academia, he held high-managerial roles at Deere & Co, CEMEX and CYDSA.
He is a frequent expert contributor on CNN for topics on strategy and innovation.
Professor Ruelas-Gossi has written several articles for Harvard Business School Publishing with a worldwide impact, which have been cited extensively and reprinted in multiple languages. The Financial Times has also singled out and published his work in the specialized section: MASTERING SERIES. Expansion Magazine (a subsidiary of TIME), in its December 2005 edition, featured Professor Ruelas-Gossi’s work together with Porter’s, Drucker’s, Prahalad’s, Hamel’s and Christensen’s contributions as the most influential in the field of business strategy.
His concept of Strategic Orchestration was the cover article at Harvard Business Review AL, Nov 2006, and at London Business School – Business Strategy Review, Spring 2011. It has been considered in both recent books and articles as an essential part of the new taxonomy of the field of strategy.
Invited among the world specialists in Strategy & Innovation to write frequently at HBR.org from the Harvard Business Review. His articles are consistently top stories at HBR.org.
- Ph. D., Strategy, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- M.S., Management of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- B.S., Industrial Engineering and Systems Dynamics , Monterrey Tech
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award for research in disruptive ideas for Management, Research Centre for Corporate Excellence & Innovation, Barcelona Tech, Polytechnic University (Catalonia, Spain), 2016
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Miami Business School, 2015, 2017, 2018 (spring), 2018 (fall)
- YPO (Young Presidents’ Organization) Worldwide Recognition, Best Seminar (highest evaluations), Theory of Strategic Orchestration, 2011
- Best Professor Award, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez Business School, 2009